Preface to the 3rd, fully revised and expanded Edition
The advancing developments in quality management in the automotive industry have required a complete revision of the VDA volume 4 both with regard to content as well as editorial.
Changes in content were mainly made in the following areas:
- Integration of a chapter on the 5 Why method
- Integration of the method selection model from the former VDA volume 14
- Summaries of the methods FMEA and 8D due to their transfer as detailed, independent VDA volumes
- Integration of further developments and new perceptions for various method descriptions
- Dissolving the ring-binder structure: This volume is now available as a monograph available in four sections, which improves clarity and easy referencing.
In the course of the editorial revision:
- References, sources and standard references have been updated,
- Spelling, grammar and consistency have been verified and
- Figures have been reworked.
Overview of the Sections of VDA Volume 4 – Quality Assurance in the Process Landscape:
Section 1: General
Methods Overview, Elementary Aids, Development Processes
Section 2: Risk Analyses
Fault Tree Analysis – FTA, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), SWOT Analysis (Strengths – Weaknesses – Opportunities – Threats)
Section 3: Methods
Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA), Digital Mock-Up (DMU), Design of Experiments (DoE) – Trial Methodology, Manufacturing Feasibility Analysis, POKA YOKE, Quality Function Deployment (QFD), TRIZ, Economical Process Design and Process Control, 8D Method, 5 Why Method, Selection of Preventive Quality Management Methods
Section 4: Process Models
Six Sigma, Design for Six Sigma (DFSS), Industrial Tolerance Process